
I find myself using negative words a lot these days. Horrible. Terrible. Worst. Frustrating. Stuck. I could continue on and on, but you get the point. "It's been a tough year." I've found myself saying that for a couple of years now. Maybe even longer. I can't quite remember when this "tough year" started but I realized recently that I must make the decision that it's over. You know how people say you have to hit the bottom before you come back up? Well I did that today with my words. I actually said that this year was "the worst." I know - AMANDA, STOP! Thank goodness I caught myself as it was coming out and hopefully I haven't completely embarrassed myself here by admitting that I've said that. Allow me to take an inventory of the past couple of years...
I survived a life-threatening blood clot. I had a successful surgery this year to help alleviate some of my pain AND, as if that isn't blessing enough, I actually live 2 blocks from a hospital in case I ever have trouble with it again. One of my best friends (a cardiothoracic surgeon no less) diagnosed me - and she's always just a phone call away. Plus, don't tell anyone, but those couple of weeks of percocet sure were fun!
I got a promotion AND a pay raise - twice - this year. Not many people can say THAT during the great recession. I travel a few times a year, usually to fun and fabulous cities that I enjoy (DC, San Fran, Savannah) and often get to visit with friends and family - on the company dime - while I'm away. My sweet husband and fabulous family take great care of my baby girl while I am gone and usually I get to keep the travel points even though work pays for my trips. I have been quoted in the newspaper, I have been recognized by my peers, I even passed city council legislation UNANIMOUSLY (and not many people can say that, especially when they are giving away half a million dollars!). And - I put people to work and make our city a better place to live gosh darnit. What a great job!
My Shailendra family finds ourselves in a situation in which we have been forced to learn who our real friends are. And boy are we finding out who they are. And you know what, we've got some really damn good friends. We've been reminded what's important in life and - quite remarkably - what's not. We've had lots to celebrate, lots to work towards, and lots of time together. And you know what, just because it hasn't been easy doesn't mean that it hasn't been good for us.
Paul is remarkable. He sure does have my back. I mean that man really watches out for me, sometimes more than I think I need him to. He's charming and smart and lord have mercy he works hard. He adores our daughter. And he vacuums. I couldn't ask for anything more. And look at that remarkable man with our precious girl? They are worth a "glass half full" attitude, don't you think?
Here's to a great year, filled with lots of learning experiences and reasons to celebrate. Taylor's turning 1 on Wednesday!
1 comment:
It has been a year of
"events" for sure. I am so happy for you that you are one of the truly blessed!!!!!!
Loved the pix of the little one bday!!!!!! How precious is she?!?!?!?!?!!?
Post a Comment