Monday, September 30, 2013

The things they say

I posted a few years ago about the crazy things that people have said to me while I am pregnant.  I've noticed it's not just people that I know - the ones with the strongest opinions and craziest comments are typically strangers.  I had the worst run-in with the lady at the coffee shop at the Hyatt last week while in Savannah.  Here's a little synopsis of our conversation... It's dripping with my crankiness and this women's rude manners!

Me:  small decaf latte please.
Her:  when are you do?
Me:  in a few months
Her: what date?
Me:  December.
Her:  what day in December?
Me:  I'm due December 19th.
Her:  your first baby, huh?
Me: nope.  Not my first.
Her:  what are you having?
Me:  a girl
Her:  you don't look like you're carrying a girl.

Let me just say that this line of questioning, similar to an accusatory attorney grilling a witness in a criminal case, continued on and on while my small decaf latte was making no progress at all!  I finally asked her to quit asking me so many personal questions!  Which brought about this response...

Her:  oh I'm sorry, I mistakenly thought you were a friendly person.
Me:  I typically am a friendly person actually but you've just been asking so many personal questions. 
Her:  God bless you.  Have a blessed pregnancy.  Bless your baby.  God be with you.  And bless you and your baby.  

15 minutes later I finally got my latte and then spent the next few days avoiding the coffee shop!  

Other fun things people I actually know said to me while at the conference... Any day now!  (Nope - 12 more weeks!), Is it twins?  (Nope again!)  You've put on some weight since the last time I saw you!  (Thanks, you too!)  Wow - you're huge!  (Again... Thanks friend!) Are you going to keep working (planning to but it's actually none of your business.). 

Reminder to myself to leave a pregnant women alone altogether or just talk to her like a normal person and bring up work, weather, even politics.  Anything aside from due dates, names, and weight gain!

No comments: