Sunday, December 5, 2010

No place like home!



It's amazing the difference one week can make. To say that we've had a dramatic one is an understatement. Last weekend Paul and I made a visit to the ER and on Monday afternoon I was finally admitted to the hospital for an extensive bloodclot in my groin. We have had some ups and downs over the past week and I was released from the hospital on Friday afternoon. I've got a long road to recovery. However, knowing what is wrong and what I have to do to get better provides the necessary peace and comfort to get through. Baby S is doing well - seemingly unphased by all the drama around her. Pregnancy is sure a crazy process and somehow my body has been able to take care of this little creature while in crisis itself.

So... here's what happened. I woke up on Saturday morning with extreme pain and swelling in my left leg. I drove myself to the ER, per my doctors suggestion, and Paul met me there. Not knowing obviously that I wasn't feeling well, he'd left Saturday morning to go hunting with friends in South Atlanta. I think that Pau may have set a record for how fast he drove up I-75 to come meet me at Piedmont! Unfortunately, tests did not fully capture a bloodclot in my leg, although I later learned that the test DID show signs of a clot, it didn't capture the actual clot itself. Sunday night the pain worsened and the swelling continued to increase. By Monday morning, I was unable to walk on my own and could hardly even get to the doctor's office. My OB-GYN, Dr. Kimberly Kleiss, is amazing, and although she didn't know what was wrong she immediately got on the phone and began calling colleagues at Piedmont to help me. Paul and I spent 3 hours in the waiting room at the vascular surgeon's office and finally got to see Dr. Powers. He knew immediately something was severly wrong and sent me for a second test to check for a clot. Dr. Powers told us that there were signs of a DVT (deep vein thrombosis) in the ultrasound from Saturday and so he wanted to get a second test done to see if they could capture more information.

After getting an ultrasound and confirming that I had a DVT, Paul and I were told that I was definitely getting admitted to the hospital to the antepartum unit. At this point, it was 3:00 in the afternoon and had been quite a long day. Neither of us had eaten anything all day, and although I'd been promised pain meds I had yet to see any! I was ready for anything I could get my hands on and couldn't wait to lay down and prop my leg up. Standing was excruciating, and now sitting was beginnning to feel that way as well.

The nurses and staff in antepartum were amazing. I was hoisted into bed and they began the process of getting me monitored, putting me on medicine, and starting my IV. That night, Paul and I were visited by 4 doctors - a perinatologist, vascular surgeon, hemotologist, and of course my OB, Dr. Kleiss. Several days, many tests, bedpans, throwing up, and crazy stressful moments later, Paul and I were given the fabulous news that I could go home.

For the next 6 months, I'm giving myself 2 shots of blood thinners a day in my belly. It's definitely intimidating, but I'm hoping it gets easier. And my new compression stocking is a permanent accessory. It makes a huge difference. We won't have to do a surgery or procedure at least until after Baby S is born, at which point the possibility can be revisited when it won't be a risk to her.

For now, I'm happy to be home with Paul and Scout, resting and recuperating, thinking of baby names, and preparing for the arrival of Baby Girl Shailendra. I am one lucky and blessed girl to have made it through this past week and so is she!

No comments: